cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wal...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: validation of config during build (Was: Re: sitemap validation is broken)
Date Fri, 07 Mar 2003 17:05:54 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Sylvain Wallez wrote:

<snip/>

>> So it seems to me validation is good to easily write a syntax checker
>> and let the java code in treeprocessor concentrate on more detailed
>> "semantic" validation.
>

> too bad this is not done.

So what about *requiring* schema-validation to happen each time a
sitemap is loaded, i.e. have the use of a validating parser be
hard-coded in the treeprocessor. This schema-validation phase would be a
part of the global consistency checks performed by the treeprocessor,
implemented by tools adequate for this task.

>> Now the problem, AFAIU, comes more from the fact that we're trying to
>> validate not only the sitemap, but also the configuration of each
>> component, which may take very various forms and obey to some
>> complicated logic.
>

> yes, but this is an argument on how the sitemap descriptor is defined.
> Why does everybody think that validation and schemas are synonims?

I don't think they are synonyms, but that a schema is an adequate tool
to easily perform the first phase of a global validation process.

Sylvain