cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: validation of config during build (Was: Re: sitemap validation is broken)
Date Fri, 07 Mar 2003 11:32:36 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> Steven Noels wrote:
>
>>David Crossley wrote:
>>

>>>The <map:transformer> used to have children like
>>><use-session-info> etc. but these have been recently
>>>changed to <use-session-parameters> etc. However,
>>>the sitemap.rng still has the former. Also, the code in
>>>o.a.c.transformation.TraxTransformer still uses the
>>>former. Are these just typos in the new sitemap.xmap?
>>
>>This brings
>>http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=103847911212458&w=2
>>back to mind. What 'level' of validation are we able to obtain if we try
>>to put everything into one grammar, which must fit each and every
>>component...? Hm. Bruno is on skying holiday ATM, I'll refer him to this
>>when he's back.
>

> I look forward to Bruno's expertise and help on this
> and other matters.
>
> Yes, i agree with the need for a more clever, component-based
> approach as soon as possible.
>
> In the meantime, we need something to help keep the new build
> on the rails. Already errors have crept in.
>
> I just added the few basic validations that we had in the
> old build:
> * cocoon.roles - quite strict structural validation.
> * cocoon.xconf - extremely loose validation, could be improved.
> * sitemap.xmap - cumbersome, but works for now.
>
> The one thing that is missing at the moment is the ability
> to have validate.config=false to get around any immediate
> build issues. I will try to add that today. (However i am away
> for one week holiday, then catch-up.)
>
> So the sitemap validation and the roles validation are
> commented-out in the current build. Pity, because that does
> not put the build issues in everyone's face.
>
>                          -- o --
> The other purpose of my original message was to raise an alarm
> about the change in parameter names in the sitemap, which now
> do not correspond with code o.a.c.transformation.TraxTransformer

I'm more and more considering sitemap validation harmful.

why:

1) the sitemap logic is too hard to be validated from any validation
language (it requires java runtime capabilitles)

2) it reduces the effort of clean and meaningful error messages in the
treeprocessor

Example, try

  <generate uri="..."/>

where the uri attribute is not allowed in generate (shoulc be 'src'),
the treeprocessor totally ignores this and sends the empty string to the
parser, resulting in the error

  System ID not found!

Sitemap validation has stopped us from fixing the error messaging
capabilities on mistakes.

I propose to blast the sitemap validation alltogether.