cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Presenting the Proxy Based DataSource
Date Wed, 05 Mar 2003 17:26:28 GMT
Torsten Curdt wrote:
> Berin Loritsch wrote:
>
>> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>>
>>> Berin Loritsch wrote:
>>>
>>> So it seems to me that a simple way to avoid this JDBC mess (at least
>>> in Cocoon) would be for ESQLConnection to _hold_ a Connection instead
>>> of _extending_ it.
>

> ...you mean the EsqlConnection should not implement Connection?

Shocking isn't it?  EsqlConnection is not *changing* functionality of
the Connection.  It is cleaner and easier to maintain if you
hold a reference to the Connection instead of going through the added
complexity of conditional compilation when there is no real benefit
derived from it.

>> For ESQLConnection, definitely.
>

> Well, as long as the logicsheet only wants to use the methods from
> the old Connection interface this is true.

And what new methods should it use?

The ESQL logicsheet could easily be altered (invisibly to the user)
so that calls to Connection are using the Connection object and calls
to the new methods are using the holder class.