cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wal...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: Presenting the Proxy Based DataSource
Date Wed, 05 Mar 2003 15:17:06 GMT
Berin Loritsch wrote:

> Please cross check this version of the Excalibur DataSource, and see
> if it works just as well as the old version.  If so, I will commit
> my changes and we will all be happier.
>
> Of particular interest:
>
> This was compiled on JDK 1.4, please make sure it works with JDK 1.3.
>
> I want to get away from the need to work around the two jars depending
> on JDBC 2.0/3.0 version.

Just some thoughts : AFAIK, we need JDBC wrappers to redefine methods
that are common to both JDBC 2 and 3, and we left untouched JDBC 3 method.

So, can't a simple solution be an abstract JDBC wrapper that implements
all of JDBC3 and which is required (through its build.xml) to be
compiled with a JDK 1.4 ?

A JDK 1.3 should not complain about unkown methods as long as they're
not used, allowing us to write concrete wrappers that would work equally
well in 1.3 and 1.4.

Sylvain