cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher Oliver <>
Subject Re: [RANT] The Flow...
Date Wed, 05 Mar 2003 14:52:35 GMT
Pier Fumagalli wrote:
> On 5/3/03 7:29, "Christopher Oliver" <> wrote:
>>Pier Fumagalli wrote:
> I know... But where can I read it? Where will our users be able to see that
> all those function they rely on are actually "implementation details" and
> that they shouldn't even touch them because we can remove them in the next
> release? (if the language doesn't allow you to specify that something is
> "private", it doesn't mean that you should be allowed to use it anyway).

Clearly, there needs to be much better documentation. And I do agree
there can be a lot of cleanup in the implementation. And I think
continued discussion can help improve the design. All of those things
need to happen and hopefully will.

> It's would be a very nice interface, but it is NOT what we have today...
> Apart from the sendPage*() stuff which are not there, we have _A_LOT_ of
> other attributes and functions accessible from that object... And I mean, A
> LOT. You listed one attribute and 5 functions, I count 8 attributes and 10
> functions...
> As nowhere it's said that "you shouldn't be allowed to use the rest", I
> started USING those in my own scripts... Now you're telling me that I might
> have to rewrite them because in the next version "they could not be there,
> renamed or stuff"???

It should be documented that the rest are "private" and as a normal user
of the flow layer I think you probably shouldn't be using them. What did
you use, and what did you use it for?

View raw message