cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher Oliver <res1c...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: Stabilizing flow in order to release
Date Tue, 04 Mar 2003 17:52:55 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>
>>> 3) no higher level functionality should be added without a previous
>>> RT/proposal/vote cycle.
>>>
>>> I'm perfectly aware of the fact that this will reduce the freedom of
>>> people like Chris to innovate and show potentially creative new uses
>>> of the flow. For this reason I'd add that:
>>>
>>> 4) everybody is allowed to write flow-related stuff in the scratchpad
>>> without the previous RT/proposal/vote cycle, even if they are
>>> strongly encouradged to do so anyway to foster communication and
>>> creative discussion.
>>

>> Being able to structure flow (or JS ?) features in blocks is IMO the
>> key for having a stable foundation without discouraging creativity.
>

> True. I'm all ears on how this can be achieved. Chris? any idea?

Not sure. This is one of the weaknesses of JavaScript. It doesn't have
any structuring mechanism for creating libraries or reusable modules
(which was one of the things JavaScript 2.0 was supposed to fix). I
think Cocoon will have to invent its own mechanisms to describe and
manage script libraries.