cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Torsten Curdt <tcu...@dff.st>
Subject Re: big ESQL performance problem - this one's weird
Date Tue, 04 Mar 2003 16:39:01 GMT
>>Not weird at all!
>>You are still looping through the ResultSet (row-results)
>
> Yes but some people in this discussion blamed the amount of SAX events to
> handle for bad performance. So now it is clear that it's the rowset traversal
> that consumes so much CPU, but still why?

Well, because the traversal means that the JDBC driver transfers all the
data of the ResultSet over the wire to the application. This happens no
matter if you use the esql:get-xxx tags or not. (Well, it's all up to
the driver's implementation. But...)

I bet that's your bottleneck.

 > I'm not skilled in JDBC. The only
> difference I can tell from Squirell SQL client is that it does not use prepared
> statements.

Well, to be really sure you better create a JDBC testcase.
--
Torsten