cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Stabilizing flow in order to release
Date Tue, 04 Mar 2003 08:09:13 GMT
Some like the flow, some don't know it enough to dislike it but won't
try it out until we have a release. In the meanwhile, we are adding
functionality without stabilizing it.

I believe we should work toward release Cocoon 2.1, this is our priority
at the moment: restore a saner and faster release cycle, possibly much
better integrated with continous integration and unit testing.

Now: I considered lack of callable pipelines and lack of xmlform-flow
integration and lack of velocity views all showstoppers, now we have it
so I'm calling a feature freeze of the flow layer for Cocoon 2.1, plus
internal redesign to match the points that Sylvain outlines.

This means that I would like to see flow-database stuff removed from the
main trunk.

While I really appreciated Chris' effort to provide a solution to the
data connection problems we will be facing, I think that providing a
braindead way to 'write SQL into your flow' is *EXACTLY* what I don't
want to see.

Cocoon's phylosophy has always been to provide you with the "least"
amount of degrees of freedom that you need to solve your problems. The
fact that Cocoon still provides several solutions to the same problem is
partially historical (think actions and, partially, xsp), partially
endemic: some problems require enough complexity that somebody will
factor it out and abuse it in different contexts.

We managed to keep the complexity of the sitemap to the bare minimum
amount of semantics that we needed and we also managed to separate the
concept of managing the states (resources) to that of managing the
transitions (app flows) in a totally distinctive and completely
orthogonal way.

Yet, the simplicity of adding stuff with the flow layer and its object
model should *NOT* trigger easy solutions to complex problems just for
show off, like this database flow layer does.

Why? well, everybody knows that writing SQL into your code is bad since
it ties you to your database. Adding SQL and javascript is a potentially
incredible RAD tool, but it's potentially horrible down the road,
requiring huge maintenance costs to operate.

People don't like to write java code to do the glue between objects and
relationals, but this doesn't mean that we have to remove the need for a
decoupling between the business logic and how it is currently implemented.

Also, we don't have a real documentation of what's there in the flow.

*THIS* is the real showstopper and without documentation we don't even
know if the flow is abusing parts of Cocoon that could lead to potential
design vulnerabilities (also security!) that might be hard to fix in a
back-compatible manner in the future.

So, while I'm all excited about this flow layer, I'm also scared (like
Sylvain) about the fact that little is known and a lot seems magic.

I don't want this to sound like a critic to Chris and his outstanding
work and support on this, but the flow is becoming a critical piece of
Cocoon 2.1-dev, just like the sitemap is, and exactly like nobody adds
sitemap tags without *MAJOR* proposal/RT cycles, I would like to start
protecting the future investiment of our users by doing the same on the
flow and by protecting his object model.

                                      - o -

This said, let me write down a list of things that have to happen before
we can safely consider the flow ready for release:

1) Sylvain's complains about the abuse of the Environment must be resolved.

2) each and every single FOM (Flow Object Model) object, method and
property must be documented and then voted upon.

3) no higher level functionality should be added without a previous
RT/proposal/vote cycle.

I'm perfectly aware of the fact that this will reduce the freedom of
people like Chris to innovate and show potentially creative new uses of
the flow. For this reason I'd add that:

4) everybody is allowed to write flow-related stuff in the scratchpad
without the previous RT/proposal/vote cycle, even if they are strongly
encouradged to do so anyway to foster communication and creative discussion.

Anyway, the point I want to come across is the following:

Cocoon is committed to provide a solid foundation for people to work and
operate. Currently, Cocoon 2.1-dev is alpha, means that we can change
things around without noticing and without allowing people to complain
because we warned them and we want to have the complete freedom to innovate.

At the same time, Cocoon 2.1-dev has to reach beta state ASAP since we
are nearly feature complete and our internal cleanups and refactoring
are working very well. [in a followup I will outline what's missing
before release]

This means that we have to stop adding stuff and starting thinking if
what we have is solid enough to stand the beta test and if we are
confortable enough to start 'guaranteeing' back compatibility in future
changes.

Please, place your comments.