cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [GUMP] Build Failure - Cocoon2
Date Mon, 03 Mar 2003 17:33:59 GMT
Sam Ruby wrote:
> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>

>> Yes, preaching to the converted. I think that Forrestbot can be the
>> only serious unit test that can be useful to Cocoon.
>

> I am?

You are.

> <joke>Is there a word in Italian for people who assert that they are
> pious, but you don't tend to see them in church all that often?</joke>

:)

I said I'm converted, never said I'm pious :)

> Forrestbot is a specific example.  When that effort started, I tried to
> see if there was an potential synergy with Gump, but the perception I
> got was that that effort was exclusively about publishing and not about
> regression testing.

The Forrest project started as a way to back gump on documentation for
apache stuff and later turned into something broader. My involvement
with it has suffered lack of time and focus, also because,
darwinistically speaking, others were taking care of it better than I could.

> My current "preaching" is an attempt to restart that discussion.
> Stefano, given your recent interest in Gump, now seems like an opportune
> time.

I agree. We also have a java-friendly machine to host it (moof).

> I don't care if it is run on my machine or on somebody else's.  I don't
> care if any gump code is used in the process.  But I do think it would
> be helpful to run Forrest with up to the minute versions of everything
> in an effort to get more people talking, and talking earlier, with
> developers of components that they depend on.
>
> And I am willing to help.

This is good news and I'm happy to talk, but I can't volunteer to help
since I have, unfortunately, different priorities at the moment.

Right now I want to cleanup the cocoon build system because I need it
for my stuff. I don't use Forrest ATM, nor cocoon uses forrest for its
documentation (yet), nor apache projects seems to like forrest that much.

To be honest, I'm sick of pushing for things to happen: I'm going to do
with I need and push to obtain what I think it's useful for me. Pure
sellfishness.

This said, I'd help whenever I could, but my time is very limited at the
moment and very focused on getting the cocoon core cleaned efficient and
ready to be released and create community involvement and development
tools that can keep the process running smoothly even when I'm not looking.

So, running forrestbot is cool and helps me, but there are much higher
priorities on my very personal todo list.