cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Per-Olof Norén <pe...@alma.nu>
Subject Re: XMLForms and O/R bridge. The Road Ahead.....
Date Sat, 01 Mar 2003 10:20:05 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
First of  I´d like to say that we decided not to used XMLForms in favor
of pure flowscript, since we´re building  large business applications.
Despite the direction change we took, I really appriciate the XMLForms...
<snip/>

> I know Ugo likes hibernate but I suggested him to take a look at OBJ
> and see if it could be usable for our needs (at least come up with a
> few samples that use it to show). Maybe he can comment on this.

Having used cocoon and OJB for no less than four (4) of our projects I
can only say that the combination of flow + OJB really makes life
easier. We´re using OJB by reversing the db into an OJB-mapping file for
which we generate beans that in turn is used from the flow java script.
To do this we "tweaked" the reversedb scripts from OJB repo (this was
OJB 0.94). By doin g this, we can change our datamodel once every five
minutes if we want to, which makes OJB + cocoon based projects not only
a very good RAD/prototyping  tool, but also a very good way of building
web applications.
 I´d recomend it to Ugo anyday.

btw:
During this process we´ve come up with some enhancements to the
jpath.xsl logicsheet to allow nested <jpath:for-each/>.
We´ll start discussing how to get you guys to commit real soon :-)
The power to "surf" the data model through xpath is just *so* powerful.
We even prototype large parts of business logic in javascript and when
customers decide and demands are clearer (since customers have seen in
it in action) ,we move the business logic into its proper place in a
java use case implementation class in a suitable package.

Anyways, with all the things going on right now in the cocoon project,
I´m certain 2.1 will be the release of the century!
Keep up the good work and spirit!

regards,
Per-Olof Norén
Curalia AB