cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: XMLForms and O/R bridge. The Road Ahead.....
Date Sat, 01 Mar 2003 09:47:39 GMT
Antonio Gallardo wrote:
> Hi!
>
> After seeing how Christian and Ugo greatly done the relation between
> XMLForms and Flow.
>
> A Bean is the model of the MVC, XMLForm the View and Flow the controller.
> A short of this can be B-XMLF-F. :-)
>
> Now still stay in the air the question of how to handle the "down" side of
> the persistent Model (the Database Connection - this is my point of
> view).....
>
> Currently, we saw some concurrents paths:
>
> Hibernate [1]
> OJB [2]
> Torque [3]
> and some others.... (Please feel free to fill this list).
>
> My question for the gurus of this stuff is: Wich path is the correct way
> in this effort?

Assuming you know I'm no guru of database technology at all, I have a
few things to say from a community dynamics point of view:

1) Hibernate is LGPL. This rules it out for ASF-wide policies. You can
use it yourself, but we can't ship it nor have mock classes for clean
compilation, nor include source files that import their classes.

The other two are ASF-stuff.

Jon Stevens and I talked about Torque vs. OJB. He used Torque for Scarab
  and he's happy, but does a 'object -> schema' generation, which is
hardly the case in real production environments (normally you get a
database and you have to map objects to that, not the other way around).

Hibernate has a much better support for these things.

Also, He said that OBJ is a much more dynamic model, while Torque is
just a code generator. But I don't know OBJ enough to tell you what this
really means in real life.

I know Ugo likes hibernate but I suggested him to take a look at OBJ and
see if it could be usable for our needs (at least come up with a few
samples that use it to show). Maybe he can comment on this.

Another alternative is the use of the Castor JDO, even if many don't
like Castor.

but I have no first-hand experience with any object-relational tools so
I'll let somebody else do the real discussion.