cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@codeconsult.ch>
Subject Re: [proposal] a new kind of 'dist'
Date Mon, 24 Mar 2003 12:50:40 GMT
Le Lundi, 24 mars 2003, à 12:38 Europe/Zurich, Upayavira a écrit :
> ....But we have to take psychology into account. CVS scared me at
> first. Build scared me
> too. How do we make the learning curve easier? Why loose people who
> don't get
> past those first hurdles, when they may well be perfectly capable of
> working with
> Cocoon, but didn't have the confidence to make those first few jumps?

A source-only distribution is not necessarily harder to use, it all
depends how it is packaged and used.

IIRC a full JDK (as opposed to runtime-only) is needed to run Cocoon
anyway, so compiling or not compiling does not make much difference.

A possible scenario would be:
-user installs Java Web Start
-user goes to the Cocoon download page, clicks on a JNLP link which
starts a small install GUI
-install GUI helps user download the Cocoon source (maybe even specific
CVS tags), asks for an installation directory, asks for the port on
which to run Cocoon, starts the build and then jetty.

This is not so hard to implement and would be even easier to use than
what we have now.

One small logistical problem is having a certificate in the CVS to sign
the jars with for java web start. I don't know if there are ASF
certificates available, but worst case we could use a self-signed one.

-Bertrand