cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Diana Shannon <shan...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [proposal] a new kind of 'dist'
Date Mon, 24 Mar 2003 13:26:20 GMT

On Monday, March 24, 2003, at 07:50  AM, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> A source-only distribution is not necessarily harder to use, it all
> depends how it is packaged and used.

... and documented. Most of the problems I've had with oss
make-install-before-try software were related to some glitch,
encountered during the make-install, that wasn't answered in the install
or readme files.

> IIRC a full JDK (as opposed to runtime-only) is needed to run Cocoon
> anyway, so compiling or not compiling does not make much difference.
>
> A possible scenario would be:
> -user installs Java Web Start
> -user goes to the Cocoon download page, clicks on a JNLP link which
> starts a small install GUI
> -install GUI helps user download the Cocoon source (maybe even specific
> CVS tags), asks for an installation directory, asks for the port on
> which to run Cocoon, starts the build and then jetty.
>
> This is not so hard to implement and would be even easier to use than
> what we have now.

Seems to me the above clearly complements the source-only distribution
strategy that Stefano is proposing.

Diana