cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: [proposal] a new kind of 'dist'
Date Mon, 24 Mar 2003 09:36:29 GMT
On Monday 24 March 2003 17:25, Christian Haul wrote:
> This is an open *source* project, and a couple of things are a lot
> easier to do at compile time rather than at run time.

Yes, like

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/
make
make install

for specifying installation directory, right?

Need to think beyond the power-programmer... Even the casual programmer
struggles with configure/make systems, and often fails and leaves.

Serious OSS definately have binaries in one form or the other. It is not a
"piece-of-cake" to compile source for everyone, and I think it should not
serve as the ENTRY-POINT for new users.

I suggest that this is posted on cocoon-users and see the consensus there.

Niclas