cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Marcus Crafter <craft...@fztig938.bank.dresdner.net>
Subject Re: Minimal JDK Version for 2.1
Date Thu, 13 Mar 2003 17:17:24 GMT
Hi Carsten!

On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 02:33:41PM +0100, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Marcus Crafter wrote:
> >
> > 	BTW - I was just about to email you a question regarding
> > 	CocoonComponentManager.
> >
> > 	The current version extends from ECM, which hardcodes us to
> > 	that container implementation - do you think it's possible to find
> > 	another way so we can alleviate this restriction (making it
> > easier to
> > 	move between containers when the time comes) ?
> >
> Personally, I don't see a real problem with this. If we use a new container,
> we change the inheritance from ECM to whatever container we use.

	Well, I know we don't change container implementations all that
	often :) so perhaps this is a bit academic - but this was what I was
	hoping to avoid. It could also be that the inheritance method
	currently used now is not possible with a future container.

> We could also implement a delegation to the real container, but I don't
> see a real need for this as changing the container implementation
> is due to different feature sets not possible.

	Delegation would be good - then we'd be operating through the
	ComponentManager (or ServiceManager or similar) interface right ?

	Not sure if I fully understand your last sentence though mate - do
	mean it's not possible to change containers in Cocoon at all due
	to some other reasons ?

	Cheers,

	Marcus

     ,,$$$$$$$$$,      Marcus Crafter
    $:         $$$$:   ManageSoft GmbH
     ;$,    _/\ &&:'   60327 Frankfurt Germany
           \_&&&&'
          &&&&.
    &&&&&&&: