cocoon-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Jeremy Quinn <jer...@media.demon.co.uk>
Subject Re: form encoding problems
Date Wed, 12 Mar 2003 16:52:47 GMT

On Tuesday, March 11, 2003, at 01:34 PM, Bruno Dumon wrote:

> On Mon, 2003-03-03 at 23:00, Jeremy Quinn wrote:
> [...]
>> I have got it. This was answered on the users list a while back, sorry
>> guys.
>>
>> Answer, use the SetCharacterEncodingAction in the Pipeline.
>>
>> Works with InputModules too.
>
> (a bit late to jump into this thread)
>
> Are you sure that it was adding this action that solved your problem?
>

As far as I can tell, yes it did solve it.
I was making only one change at a time, after this one, it worked ;)

> I'm wondering how the SetCharacterEncodingAction could actually do
> anything useful. According to the servlet spec (I'm looking at version
> 2.3), the request.setCharacterEncoding method only does something if
> called before any data is read from the request.
>

Interesting

> Since Cocoon itself reads parameters from the request (such as
> cocoon-reload) before any action is executed, this action obviously
> cannot do anything useful?
>

Hmmm

> Wouldn't it be better if we logged a big warning in this action 
> pointing
> to the container/form-encoding parameters in the web.xml (and the same
> in its javadoc)?
>

Yes, this is a better technique.
I had an idea there may be a configuration here, but could not find an 
example of it.

> As for the correct way to do things, this is what I understand from it:
>
>  * set the encoding of the HTML serializer to the encoding you'd like 
> to
> use
>

Yep

>  * make sure a <head> element exists in the html you generate, so that
> the serializer can add a <meta ... tag into it (from Stefano's
> experiments, this does not seem to work with the xhtml serializer)
>

Good to know

>  * in the web.xml: set container-encoding to ISO-8859-1 (don't know why
> its configurable because it should be ISO-8859-1 per spec), and set
> form-encoding to the same encoding of the serializer.

Lets put the config in, it will make it easier for other to see what to 
change. We work exclusively in UTF-8 for instance.

I find it very strange that ISO-8859-1 should be the standard (how 
parochially European ;) surely in this day and age it should be UTF-8. 
;)

BTW. While I was searching Cocoon's codebase looking for code that sets 
up encodings, I found a FIXME in SQLTransformer, that makes the 
un-configurable assumption that ISO-8859-1 is the encoding of your DB.

I have been meaning to find time to make this configurable.


thanks for the feedback

regards Jeremy


Mime
View raw message