cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Quinn <jer...@apache.org>
Subject display problem with new webapp
Date Tue, 25 Feb 2003 15:00:20 GMT
Hi All

I just (temporarily) installed today's CVS on two different machines:

1. Linux Box (RedHat + JVM 1.4.1) <http://godel.kisks-ass.net:8080>
2. Mac TiPB (MacOSX + JVM 1.4.1) <un-reachable>

(that godel.kicks-ass business was not my idea ;)

Built and running in Jetty, I access each site using Safari and Mozilla
on MacOSX.

There is something going wrong with the character encoding, because I
see different representations of the copyright character on each
browser, from each server (ie. 4 different wrong renditions).

Any ideas anyone?

The XML and the XSLT (which has the copyright char in it) are both
correctly encoded (and marked as) 'ISO-8859-1' (Western ISO Latin 1).

The pipeline uses the XHTML Serializer which encodes as 'UTF-8'.

Mozilla says it has a UTF-8 document, even though it displays each
server differently.

Safari will show the text correctly (from the MacOSX server only) if
you manually set it to display UTF-8, which is something that does not
happen on a slightly older Cocoon+TomCat+Apache setup I am running
elsewhere.

I am puzzled!!

regards Jeremy