cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ovidiu Predescu <ovi...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [FLOW] Thank you...
Date Sun, 02 Feb 2003 07:06:22 GMT

On Thursday, Jan 30, 2003, at 13:45 US/Pacific, Nicola Ken Barozzi
wrote:

> Pier Fumagalli wrote:
>> Whoever invented the flow, whoever implemented it here, and had
>> anything to
>> do with it and brought it to Cocoon is a FUCKING GENIOUS.
>> I shall erect an altar in my fireplace and burn incense to his
>> holiness
>> every single day, preaching for my soul, to be, at one day, of
>> comparable
>> intelligence with his...
>>     Pier
>> PS Can you tell that I started using it? And that it did beat the
>> crap out
>> of me? Now I won't be able to design any web application without it!
>> And
>> that's the _beautiful_ part of it! :-)
>
> AFAIK Saint Ovidiu Predescu :-D

First of all, I have not invented anything, I've just taken advantage
of what other people have done. All my kudos go to them!

Now this is really a good analogy, but I'm still very far away from the
real saint (and I have neither chance nor desire to reach there ;)

http://www.stallman.org/saint.html

Stefano came up some time ago with a good list of appellatives. We need
to come up with a song as good as this one :)

http://www.gnu.org/music/free-software-song.au

> He had started it in a strange freaky language with continuations....
>
> We didn't understand what he was doing, but he seemed so passionate
> about it that we could not get together the courage to stop him. Then
> somehow he finally understood that Javascript could be the key to
> opening the vault of knowledge to mortals, and finally we understood!
>
> Great respect for brother Ovidiu :-)

The original idea of using continuations was told to me by a friend of
mine, Florin Mihaila, who read about it in a paper by Christian
Queinnec (http://youpou.lip6.fr/queinnec/WWW/Queinnec.html).

Christopher Oliver was very instrumental in implementing continuations
in Rhino. Without his excellent work, patience and attention to detail,
the flow would most likely be written in pure Scheme, e.g. nobody would
have used it :() Few can understand the importance of the changes he
has done in Rhino and their impact on the current design of the Cocoon
control flow engine. Many thanks, Chris!

Many other people contributed to the flow engine that we have now.
Michael Melhem contributed an excellent patch to expire old
continuations. Christian Haul added support for actions in the flow.
Marcus Crafter, Michael and Reinhard Pötz were very early adopters of
the idea and contributed with lots of ideas and bug fixes. Stefano and
other developers provided a lot of moral support during the days of
this project. Incredibly, it started so long ago, in December 2001!

So many thanks to all these Brothers :) And lastly not the least, the
people on this mailing list were very supportive in listening to such
crazy and unorthodox methods of writing Web applications.

Best regards,
--
Ovidiu Predescu <ovidiu@apache.org>
http://www.google.com/search?btnI=&q=ovidiu (I'm feeling lucky)