cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Quinn <jer...@media.demon.co.uk>
Subject Re: [New build system] Status of samples
Date Fri, 28 Feb 2003 11:57:35 GMT

On Friday, February 28, 2003, at 10:50 AM, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Finally, I think the Cocoon build should also allow you to build your
> own cocoon web site. In this case, your stuff should becomes nothing
> different from a microblock. (please, don't start using this
> terminology, it sucks, it's just to give you the idea)

I completely agree. (but I have no suggestions for a solution, sorry)

One of the trickiest things to do with Cocoon is to update an existing
webapp with a new version of the code and configs. The configs pose the
largest problem. 1) they change often, 2) you often have to modify them
with your own datasources (etc.).

While it is important to have a simple build, so you can see it works
out of the box (as we have now), I am looking at the scenario whereby a
user wants to update an existing cocoon installation with a fresh
update from CVS, first for testing, then for production. Or wants to
build an installation of samples.

so I see 4 common scenarios :

1) a 'test' build and run (we have that and it's great!)
2) a 'samples' build and run
3) an 'update' build and run (on an internal testing port)
4) an 'update' build and run (on a production port)

Where the 'update' build will build _into_ an existing webapp, or for
testing, build _using_ an existing webapp. (Where 'webapp' obviously
means the set of sitemaps/xslt/xml etc.)

I am sorry I do not actually have any solutions, I am just thinking
about what I reckon people want to be able to do easily.

Thanks for all the hard work you are putting in.

regards Jeremy