cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Pier Fumagalli <>
Subject Re: News from the Websphere 5.0 front
Date Mon, 03 Feb 2003 13:55:22 GMT
"Gernot Koller" <> wrote:

> Hi!
> I just want to give you some feedback concerning my trials to get a cocoon
> application
> running under IBM Websphere 5.0 EE.
> The main problem were broken redirects. Due to a hint from
> someone expirencing similar troubles using jetty I found the following
> workaround:
> Changing redirects from something like:
>  <map:match pattern="documents/index">
>     <map:redirect-to uri="index.html">
> to:
>  <map:match pattern="documents/index">
>     <map:redirect-to uri="{request:contextPath}/documents/index.html"/>
> seems to fix most of these problems.
> Still it's probably not the most elegant solution, is it ?

Nope... But Jetty had the same problem... It's not a problem within Cocoon,
it's a problem within WebSphere. In Jetty we patched it (in CVS right now).

> Another issue was that WAS 5.0EE seems to want to use it's own version of the
> xml-apis.jar and the xsltc.jar.
> Removing both from the WEB-INF/lib directory seems to solve the worst errors
> (java.lang.AbstractMethodError, etc.)
> but there are still errors in error.log like:
> ERROR   (2003-02-03) 13:15.17:023   [core.xslt-processor]
> (/vdt/vdtportal/sunspotdemo-portal-start) Servlet.Engine.Transports :
> 0/XSLTProcessorImpl: Cannot find the requested TrAX factory
> 'org.apache.xalan.xsltc.trax.TransformerFactoryImpl'. Using default TrAX
> Transformer Factory instead.
> Can this be savely ignored ?

I don't think so... But if that happens it means that WebSphere's
web-application classloader is not J2EE compliant. Try using the

> While the application now seems to run, I still get errors like the following
> on the console (nothing errors.log or core.log):
> [...]
> While this seems not to have any effect on the output, I still dont't feel
> very comfortable about it.

Those all seem problems handling the network stack :-( Not good IMO, and
I've never seen those in any other container...

> And I have no idea what's going on here :-(

I do! :-) WebSphere is buggy! :-) At work we ditched it big time last year
for an immense number of problems, and switched to other containers...

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, email:

View raw message