cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Stefan Seifert" <sseif...@pro-vision.de>
Subject RE: [OT] Re: [TIPS] Basic configurations of Apache 2.0 for Cocoon 2
Date Thu, 06 Feb 2003 09:42:19 GMT
Hello Miles.

Thats exactly what we did for implementing a "transparent" file caching system with apache
2.0 and cocoon.

You can use something like this (with mod_rewrite enabled):

  Alias /rsvgn/ "C:/cache/rs/"
  <Directory "C:/cache/rs">
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} "!-f"
    RewriteRule (.*) http://localhost:8081/cache/engine/rs/$1 [proxy]
    AllowOverride None
    Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews IncludesNoExec
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
  </Directory>

It checks if a given files exists on the local hard disk (or in one of the subdirectory, that
doesnt matter) and if this fails it redirects (invisible for the client becaus of the [proxy]
directive) the request to the servlet engine.

In our case the servlet engine processes the request and - in addition to that - writes the
generated file to the hard disc, so the next time it comes from there without even doing a
single request to the servlet engine. If the file gets invalidated because of a content update
another process deletes the file from the file system.

This is a special caching system which replaces the cocoon cache in some way for our special
purposes. But if the cocoon cache suites you needs, you can do the same with cocoon. But in
our solution you can switch off the serlvet at all, once the cache is populated fully, and
the cache is 100% transparent for the administrator.

Stefan