cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Royal <pro...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ClassLoaderManager and its secret life as a static
Date Fri, 14 Feb 2003 20:18:07 GMT
On Friday, February 14, 2003, at 03:08  PM, Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
>> The only usage of the "singleton" piece of it is in JavaLanguage,
>> which takes a parameter named 'class-loader' and will use that as a
>> class name to instantiate an object that implements
>> ClassLoaderManager. Then in the compose method, it appends to look up
>> the ClassLoaderManager component. Catch is, the compose() will never
>> do that since the parameter has a default.
>>
>> This is a real drag for anyone trying to safe space by not
>> duplicating cocoon.jar in the WEB-INF/lib of individual webapps
>> rather putting it higher up in the classloader. You can't have two of
>> the same XSP pages in each webapp.
>>
>> I am going to modify my local copy to accept a null parameter on
>> JavaLanguage and create a new ClassLoaderManager impl that has no
>> static internal instance. I am still very curious about the
>> motivations that lead to the current implementation though.
>

> Your patches will be welcome

I can commit them myself! ;) I made them and the XSP engine appears to
be working fine (that means no weird race conditions have been found..
so far).

This is on the cocoon_2_0_3_branch though..  What's the policy (is
there?) on changes to HEAD and the stable branch? I might just wait
until we upgrade to 2.1 here internally, which might be soon since I
think we're going to do soon to play with all the flow goodies.
-pete