cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Hunsberger, Peter" <Peter.Hunsber...@stjude.org>
Subject RE: [OT]; SAX parsing speed
Date Fri, 28 Feb 2003 16:48:18 GMT
Pier Fumagalli wrote:

> "Hunsberger, Peter" <Peter.Hunsberger@stjude.org> wrote:
>
> > Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm playing with the idea of making an attempt at a SAX hardware
> >> accelerator, just for the heck of it, but won't bother if it is
> >> already in the "ignorable"
> >> magnitude.
> >
> > You mean something like:
> >
> > http://www.datapower.com/products/xa35.html
> >
> > Of course, it doesn't run Cocoon, but if you've really got a heavy
> > duty XSLT load it may be something that you can justify
> wiring up on a
> > custom basis...
>
> Interesting... XSLTC but done native instead of done through
> a JVM... I wonder if they generate straight optimized
> bytecode for the processor directly interpreting the stylesheet...
>
>     Pier (old assembly fart)

Any bets it's just a heavily optimized Linux system running a JVM under the
covers?

A long time ago I was involved with a project trying to find a use for a
highly parallel piece of hardware.  I did a conceptual design for an OS
based around directly addressable tree structured data: building such a
beast do just do parsing would be almost trivial.  However, adding in XSLT
is a lot more interesting.  Part of the conceptual design included
instructions for tree unions, intersections, differences etc. so I can
certainly see how parts of it would be easy.  However, I'd really want to
have a general purpose OS feeding the special purpose hardware so that I
wouldn't have to implement stuff like translating character sets and running
a HTTP stack to look up a DTD...

Peter (was just reminiscing about the old days of coding directly on the
hardware this morning)