cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Quinn <jer...@apache.org>
Subject Re: display problem with new webapp
Date Tue, 25 Feb 2003 16:43:24 GMT

On Tuesday, February 25, 2003, at 04:20 PM, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Jeremy Quinn wrote:
>> Hi All
>> I just (temporarily) installed today's CVS on two different machines:
>> 1. Linux Box (RedHat + JVM 1.4.1) <http://godel.kisks-ass.net:8080>
>> 2. Mac TiPB (MacOSX + JVM 1.4.1) <un-reachable>
>> (that godel.kicks-ass business was not my idea ;)
>> Built and running in Jetty, I access each site using Safari and
>> Mozilla on MacOSX.
>> There is something going wrong with the character encoding, because I
>> see different representations of the copyright character on each
>> browser, from each server (ie. 4 different wrong renditions).
>> Any ideas anyone?
>> The XML and the XSLT (which has the copyright char in it) are both
>> correctly encoded (and marked as) 'ISO-8859-1' (Western ISO Latin 1).
>> The pipeline uses the XHTML Serializer which encodes as 'UTF-8'.
>> Mozilla says it has a UTF-8 document, even though it displays each
>> server differently.
>> Safari will show the text correctly (from the MacOSX server only) if
>> you manually set it to display UTF-8, which is something that does
>> not happen on a slightly older Cocoon+TomCat+Apache setup I am
>> running elsewhere.
>> I am puzzled!!
>
> try to set the xhtml serializer to output ISO-8859-1 and report back.

Sorry, I was having lunch ;)

OK, did that.

Safari now displays both (Linux & MacOSX servers) properly.
Mozilla displays both incorrectly and differently from each server. And
it was not cached, because it has recognised the different encoding.

Strange!

I wonder if this is some difference between TomCat & Jetty?

regards Jeremy