cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Gump Integration
Date Fri, 28 Feb 2003 16:50:54 GMT

Stefano Mazzocchi wrote, On 28/02/2003 17.41:

> Cocoon will (sooner or later) move to an indirect dependency graph. This
> will require a special build system, probably with special ant tasks. I
> think we'll make an effort to make these tasks bootstrappable with basic
> Ant and JAXP dependencies. This will keep everybody happy and will make
> developing the ant tasks easier.
>
> How can this be reflected in gump? It is algorithmically possible to
> generate a directed dependency graph from an indirected dependency one.
> So it will be possible to generate a gump-digestible project descriptor,
> but only dynamically: doing it by hand will be a horrible task.

Well, Jenny takes all the descriptors and merges them... se below...

> So, I believe that the best thing we can do is to expose two different
> projects to gump:
>
>  - cocoon core
>  - cocoon blocks

+1

Each Gump module is a coherent set of <project>s

> the first will be a normal project, with the usual direct dependencies.
>
> the second will be a different type of project, where the project
> descriptor will have to be dynamically generated by the analysis of the
> indirect dependency graph of the cocoon blocks.
>
> The last alternative is to include indirect dependencies on gump itself,
> but i don't think this is worth the effort.

Gump builds *defined* projects, not "generic" ones. Direct dependencies
are good, because they are an *explicit* contract. IMHO making the gump
descriptor generated from our descriptors, is a good KISS solution.

"Indirect" dependencies are done in Java via interfaces. I don't see how
  it can be a problem, as long as we have blocks depend on "interface"
blocks.

No?

             - verba volant, scripta manent -