cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: problem with forehead
Date Thu, 27 Feb 2003 23:03:59 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> bob mcwhirter wrote:
>
>> Stefano--
>>
>> Glad to hear you guys are finding it useful.  Forehead got sunsetted
>> pretty quickly though and has been replaced by Classworlds which has
>> slightly more robust concepts and also supports the 'uber-jar' for
>> running a complete app from a standalone jar and no external
>> dependencies.
>

> Ah, didn't know that. I'll look into it right away.
>
>> I'll be glad to integrate your change into forehead but you might find
>> classworlds a better solution overall.  (Though, it too may suffer from
>> this reflection issue).
>

> I'll try it and come back to you.
>
>> Anyhow, http://classworlds.werken.com/ or 'maven uberjar' if you guys
>> are using maven.

Bob,

I tried Classworlds and I found it incredibly slow. I tried to look into
the code to see why and I saw too many classloading and it does too many
things for the super-simple layer of classloading abstraction I wanted,
so I decided to write my own tiny one (took me half an hour). Since we
use it to run the servlet container with inside Cocoon (a total of 15mb
of java classes!!) classloading speed really isan issue for us,
expecially on development since you normally have to reload the
instances of Cocoon several times.

Anyway, many thanks for your support.