cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: xml-cocoon2/src/blocks/slide/java/org/apache/cocoon/components/source/helpers SourceProperty.java
Date Thu, 27 Feb 2003 15:55:38 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Sorry guys, I'm really ignorant, but what is the technical reason why
> removing unused imports is a good idea?

No technical reason, it just keeps things clean since you can look at
those imports and *really* find out if this class depends on it or not.

I use to grep for the java class to find out class dependencies, it was
very useful when moving things around.

If we leave unused imports around, or worse, use the horrible
java.util.* syntax sugar, refactoring becomes *MUCH* more difficult
because you have to dive into the code to find out.

Eclipse's concept of a java DOM is a kickass concept exactly for this,
you can move methods around or rename them and eclipse knows already all
the dependencies and can update all your code on the fly.

No other IDE is so advanced in terms of development paradigms.

In fact, it's good old Erich Gamma who designed it :)

Compile-first paradigms makes it a pain to enter the environment with a
preexisting project (as it happened for us), but it really kicks ass in
the long run. Think of a continous integration for yourself type of thing.

Now, if only used less memory I could use it on this ronzputer of mine
for bigger stuff than Agora :,-(