cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <>
Subject Re: [proposal] Pruning up the CVS tree for real
Date Thu, 27 Feb 2003 13:06:22 GMT
Pier Fumagalli wrote:
> On 26/2/03 21:22, "Stefano Mazzocchi" <> wrote:
> Yes... A few. Pruning a tree by hand is a _very_ bad idea, IMVHO, because
> it'll destroy all history of the project, and in our case, as we're using
> branches, not only of the 2.1 tree, but of the 2.0 as well.

Maybe so, but what about getting rid of JARs for real?  Esp. ones that
we may have found were incompatible with distributing them at apache?

> But having managed CVS installs for the past 4 years, now, I kinda see the
> point, the more you add stuff into history, the heavier the repository gets.

What about storing a log dump somewhere?

I mean, there comes a time where history is no longer useful.  Then
again, according to murphy's law as soon as you get rid of something
you will then need it.

> Subversion _will_ solve this issue, that's for sure, so my suggestion would
> be to move over onto that system, but there are IMHO, still issues with the
> availability of non-command line clients. I would wait to start using it
> until <> doesn't start working properly and it
> gets more widely deployed (I'm watching that space because we want to use it
> at VNU).

I am not afraid of the command line, but there were issues with the
release of the Windows client the last time I messed with it.  When run
on XP, it would fail miserably (core dump or something, can't quite
remember).  The information on the server was OK, but sometimes I had to
make a commit more than once.

I would like to see SubVersion improve a bit before making everyone
switch.  The client reliability issue is what has me gun shy about it.
(No issues with the server that I can tell).

View raw message