cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>
Subject Re: [FYI] M$ Office 2003 and XML
Date Thu, 27 Feb 2003 11:57:02 GMT
Niclas Hedhman wrote:

(...)
> However, the change to XML can be the downfall for the never-ending
> upgrade-cycle forced upon Office-users, as small tools on the net will make
> back-conversions....
>
> The second assault will come from OSS projects, which now will have a clean
> view into the formats, and should be able to reproduce Office documents much
> better than is currently the case. UNFORTUNATELY, I think (hope not) some
> tags will contain crucial data in some arcaic binary format, only useful to
> COM services in the OS.

OTOH, they could choose to go the opposite way: have leased/rented
applications, that are updated continuously, and make the formats evolve
so fast that OSS projects and competing commercial projects cannot
follow them.

You would find a "Dialog Box" saying: "The document you have just
received has a new feature that requires you tu update your Office copy
to enhance your user experience. Notice that you could be missing
important features from the document if you don't do it. Proceed? [Now]
[Later]"

They could earn money just by selling the specification documents at
standard paper prices (you would need to actually "subscribe to the
spec") ;-)