cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <>
Subject Re: [FYI] M$ Office 2003 and XML
Date Thu, 27 Feb 2003 10:28:21 GMT
Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On Thursday 27 February 2003 04:21, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> Office 97 released 1997.
> Office 99 released 1999.
> Office 11 released 2011??

No, Office 11 is the codename for Office 2003 (99 was 10 and 97 was 9)

> The main drive for changing the format is to generate revenue. "My business
> contacts has the new Office, and I can't open their documents, I need to
> upgrade..."

> However, the change to XML can be the downfall for the never-ending
> upgrade-cycle forced upon Office-users, as small tools on the net will make
> back-conversions....

I think Microsoft is all but stupid and it plans to change their reveue
stream entirely to subscription services, which are much more
predictable. To do this, they have, at least, to impose .NET and teach
XML to the world.

> The second assault will come from OSS projects, which now will have a clean
> view into the formats, and should be able to reproduce Office documents much
> better than is currently the case. UNFORTUNATELY, I think (hope not) some
> tags will contain crucial data in some arcaic binary format, only useful to
> COM services in the OS.

Did you know it was microsoft that wanted Processing Instruction back
into the XML spec?

What would you do with this:

  <o:document xmlns:o="urn:microsoft:office11:document">
   <?COM 38493849348827384093082738402938409824302830948234324

> Long live the XML revolution.

Yeah, it will, unfortunately, never end :/

Welcome to Babel!

Stefano Mazzocchi                               <>