cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Remove need for Cornerstone JARs
Date Wed, 26 Feb 2003 18:43:07 GMT
Michael Melhem wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 12:09:17PM -0500, Berin Loritsch wrote:
>
>>Event (in its current incarnation) has all the functionality
>>under one roof.  It also has a vastly improved pooling mechanism,
>>but that is another excersize completely.
>>
>>If you think its a good idea, I can make the commit...
>

> Is there "clear" advantage of using event over cornerstone scheduler?

Other than the fact that you no longer need three more jars than with
event?  Yes.

Excalibur Thread (and as a consequence Cornerstone Thread) has a bug
that results in deadlock in some situations.  Event uses the better
tested and debugged Doug Lea concurrent utilities which incorporates
thread pooling.

Event can also be easily integrated with the rest of the system if
you need some background management taking place.  In reality, Event
was built for environments like Cocoon.  I had it in mind when I wrote
that and Fortress.

> If so, then i dont see why we cant swap as long as we dont break
> anything :-P. The diff below looks good, I assume the flow.xconf syntax
> is not effected?

The flow.xconf is not altered.