cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Scratchpad
Date Wed, 26 Feb 2003 17:47:43 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> We still haven't reached consensus on this issue and I think that we
> also mixed concerns in the previous threads. I see several issues on the
> table:
>
> 1) how to allow committers to innovate on core

Anything in *core* needs community support.  This should not have
a scratchpad IMO.  Why?  The API needs to be clean.  The core is
what you are saying will be supported no matter what.  Therefore
the core needs to reflect what the community is willing to support.

> 2) how to allow committers to innovate on non-core stuff

This is where I think a sandbox/scratchpad would work if the community
wants it.  Blocks are *additions* to cocoon that anyone can use if they
choose to.  By defining how to write blocks and set them up and
incorporate them into your own projects, it makes it easier to maintain
a clean system.

> issue #1 & #2
>
> So, I propose to try to cleanup the scratchpad as much as possible and
> see what's left, as for Nicola suggestion. Of course, help from the code
> authors will be *VERY* appreciated.
>
> At that point, we'll decide whether to keep the scratchpad or not and,
> in case, create some policies about it.
>
> Deal?

Sounds good.