cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: xml-cocoon2 build.xml
Date Wed, 26 Feb 2003 15:29:51 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>>Stefano wrote:
>>
>>  Modified:    .        build.xml
>>  Log:
>>  this is done with 'distclean'
>>
>>  -    <!-- Delete our own ant tasks -->
>>  -    <delete dir="${tools.tasks}"/>
>>     </target>
>>

> Yes, but why with distclean - Most times when I change something
> in cocoon I do a build with all three jdks (1.2/1.3 and 1.4), so
> my usual build cycle is:
> use jdk 1.4
> build
> build
> use jdk 1.3
> build
> build clean
> cleanuse jdk 1.2
> build
> build clean
>
> With your change I have to do a build distclean instead which doesn't
> seem appropriate for me.
> Alternatively when can compile the ant tasks in 1.2 compatible mode
> so that the versions compiled with 1.4 are usable with 1.3 or 1.2.
>
> What do you think?

ah, I see.

I normally do try/fail cycles only on a single JVM so that recompiling
the tasks went in my way and I moved it into distclean which moves
everything back to "cvs checkout" state, but I totally see your point.

what about three different clean targets?

  1) clean same vm -> clean
  2) clean different vm -> ???
  3) clean everything -> distclean

what do you think?