cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Splitting JDK dependent code [was: Re: Javac task design problems]
Date Tue, 25 Feb 2003 16:41:15 GMT

Stefano Mazzocchi wrote, On 25/02/2003 17.22:
> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>
>> One solution to avoid filtering our java-code because of jdk-dependencies
>> is to separate this code into different source directories.
>> For example for the databases block that uses ant filtering we could
>> generate three directories:
>> blocks/databases/java - the common code
>> blocks/databases/java1.2 - the AbstractEqslConnection.java for JDK
>> 1.2/1.3
>> blocks/databases/java1.4 - the AbstractEqslConnection.java for JDK 1.4
>> and
>> above
>>
>> This is then similar to our libs directory.
>>
>> This solution would not only remove the need of filtering but would also
>> make the source directly usable within your favorite IDE.
>>
>> What do you think?
>
> big +1!

I kinda like the idea, but why not

   blocks/databases/java/org/apache/xxx
   blocks/databases/java/org/apache/xxx/1.2
   blocks/databases/java/org/apache/xxx/1.4

?

And how can one use them within the favourite ide?

> The code filtering problem is suggesting me that preprocessing source
> code is a very bad habit and we should try to avoid it alltogether!

;-)

I have been working on a build system for quite some time too, and my
opinion is that... I don't have an opinion! ;-)

Filtering is a "hack" to overcome javac and java deficiencies with some
sort of preprocessing. Think about instrumenting code, using altrmi
statically, or using aspects. Filtering here is needed.
It's just a tool, use it only when it's really needed. In this case it's
not so needed, so this solution seems optimal :-)

> That should turn Constants.java in a property file that Cocoon reads out
> of its own jar file when it starts.

Yes!

So both Cocoon and the build system can read it! One source! :-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -