cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Gianugo Rabellino <gian...@apache.org>
Subject Re: CachingProcessingPipeline: new Expires code
Date Tue, 25 Feb 2003 12:31:34 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

>>and cache

>>>Hmm, I haven't looked yet into your code. What happens now if an expires
>>>date is set, but the pipeline does not have a cacheable generator?
>>
>>Actually nothing. My code relies and performs expires logic on the
>>CachedResponse object, so if no one will be created, there is nothing I
>>can do ATM.
>>
>>What happens, then, is that my patches are good for already cachable
>>pipelines, where there is a cachedresponse that is used right away
>>without any further checking. The next step would be to modify
>>AbstractCachingProcessingPipeline#generateCachingKey(): as of now
>>(roughly) it checks if components are cacheable and if not it gives up;
>>it should instead check for an explicit expires setting and, if that is
>>the case, provide a key by itself for the whole pipeline and cache the
>>whole response right away. But it should also take into account the case
>>where the expires header is removed (modifications wouldn't be a problem
>>since they're already handled). And well, I must confess that I still
>>have some troubles figuring out exactly the caching process. Will work
>>on that, and any help/suggestion is most welcome. :-)
>>

> Ah ok, does this mean that if an expires date is set, you want to
> cache the pipeline, regardless if all components in this pipeline support
> the Cacheable... interface?

Exactly. Meaning that the "expires" setting is a way to tell the
pipeline engine that you know better if and how long a resource is valid.

> I think, it is much better to completly remove this expires handling
> from the current caching implementation and great an own expires pipeline
> implementation, that simply checks for the expire parameter and don't
> care about the key/validity handling. This is why we now have the pipelines
> as own components, so we can make different implementations and don't
> need to put everything into one implementation.

I've been thinking about it, and indeed it might make sense. My point,
however, is that there are two sides to consider:

1. this ExpiresEnabledCachingProcessingPipeline would rely *a lot* on
the CachingProcessingPipeline, meaning that it would just be an
extension built on top of it and "falling back" to the default
implementation if an expires is not (anymore?) provided, so I'm not dead
sure that having a separate implementation is the best way to go, also
because of usability concerns;

2. HTTP expires: it should be in theory possible to set them from any
pipeline (and definitely this is what happens, since the code is in
AbstractProcessingPipeline), but I'm afraid it would be somehow
misleading to have a different behaviour (no internal use) depending on
the actual caching pipeline implementation.

Agreed, anyhow: it would be cleaner, and I'll think about it. It would
also be the case to understand if and how this code might be integrated
in the CachingPointProcessingPipeline. Suggestions?

Ciao,

--
Gianugo Rabellino
Pro-netics s.r.l.