cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Javac task design problems
Date Mon, 24 Feb 2003 23:14:09 GMT

(ccing to cocoondev to see if they like the idea)
(ccing to krysalis-dev because it seems like the solution to the
  jdk filtering stuff)

didge wrote, On 24/02/2003 22.23:
>>But the 'lost-update' issue is a much more serious one. Dead serious, I
>>might say, the problem is that the way the javac task is designed
>>(again, it could well be my fault since I enhanced that task a lot in
>>the past) is that is path based.
>

> The problem is not with the <javac> task, it is with JavaTM itself.  I've
> said it on this list before, I know, but I just can't stop myself...
>
> <soapbox>
> 	JavaTM <em>needs</em> an integrated preprocessor.
> 	Without anyway to instruct IDEs (such as with a #line directive),
> 	IDEs simply cannot distinguish between the preprocessed and source
> 	files, leaving developers to figure it out themselves.
> </soapbox>

This is IMHO a *very* good point. If I see a .java file, I assume that I
can compile it with javac, but with filtering it's not the case! I agree
with you.

> 1. Any file that needs preprocessing gets a .java.vpp extension.
> 2. Preprocess all files with the .java.vpp extension sending output to an
> gen directory _not_ in your regular source directory.
> 3. Compile everything normally, including the gen directory as an additional
> src path.
>
> Using the extension both identifies the file as needing preprocessing and
> also prevents it from being compiled directly.

Yes. And also makes it automatic. I mean that we son't need to copy
*all* files, or select them one by one by hand. Simple, clean effective.
I like it :-)

Oh, and how about "stale" files. I mean, if I vppcopy a file, then
delete the original vpp, is the filtered resulting java file still
there? IIRC there was a lsync task floating around that synched
correctly, maybe a vppsynch could be the *final* solution?

             - verba volant, scripta manent -