cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Gianugo Rabellino <gian...@apache.org>
Subject Re: CachingProcessingPipeline: new Expires code
Date Mon, 24 Feb 2003 16:08:01 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> I would say: commit it and we (I?) can review it.

Done. Fire at will. :-)

Two things to consider and still on my TODO:

1. I understand from AbstractCachingProcessingPipeline that a cache
entry is not going to be built if the generator is not cacheable. Also,
the cache process stops at the first non cachable component in the
pipeline. If that is the case (and indeed it makes sense), then some
more changes are needed to take into account that an expires header is
present: if so, there should be a way to both generate the key and cache
the output and to update/remove entries from the cache if the expires
header is changed or removed from the pipeline. What would be the best
way to do that? I'm thinking about having an object that generates key
on behalf of non cachable components, would that be enough?

2. Some work needs to be done on the HTTP response abstraction. As of
now it might well be that a component in the pipeline sets the HTTP
Expires header in an arbitrary way, thus overriding the pipeline
setting. This is a more general problem, it shows up with these
modifications but it could happen with every pipeline: the value sent to
the browser/cache would be the last one set in the pipeline. And it's
not limited to the Expires header, actually: every component has access
to the response object, so it's free to fsck up even the most carefully
crafted pipeline. This is a real PITA, expecially if we are to continue
on the path of proxy-friendly HTTP headers, where the resulting response
should come from a very careful and thought out logic-

I'm thinking of the best way to intercept the setHeader() calls and put
some logic in there in order to use the setting that makes more sense:
under a "non expires" pipeline, it should be the minimum value, while if
an "expires" setting is present, its value shouldn't be overwritten.
Sylvain had the clever idea of adding listeners to the response
environment, but I'm wondering if this wouldn't be too heavy since for
every request a new set of listeners would have to be built.

Suggestions?

Ciao,

--
Gianugo Rabellino