cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <>
Subject Re: Javac task design problems
Date Mon, 24 Feb 2003 13:37:25 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> There are currently three properties used in the name,
> the copyright year and the version. Ok, the first one could be simply
> hard-coded because it is fixed. (And I think we can remove this name
> property completly from the build system).
> Now, if this is the only place in the java code where filters are
> used, I personally have no problems with
> hardcoding the version and the copyright in, so that
> the filters are not required. This would (unfortunately) lead to
> the fact that we define these two pieces of information in two
> places and both have to be updated accordingly. But fortunately
> I'm currently doing the releases and I'm updating the information
> in the build files, so I can also update them in
> as well. No problem.
> What do you think?

Besides the lack of elegance and the increased complexity of making the
distribution, the real problem is the 'databases' block that uses source
filtering. Also the other problem is the scratchpad which has so many
dependencies on libraries that we can't ship, so it would be great to
tell javac to skip those files if the library is not available but
without having to copy them.

Chris, how complex would be to write new <javac> ant task using your
JavacAPI and the eclipse compiler? I think it could even speed up our
compilation times and memory usage.

Anybody else has ideas on how to solve this issue?

Stefano Mazzocchi                               <>