cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wal...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: [proposal] Removing the scratchpad
Date Fri, 21 Feb 2003 15:32:25 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> The scratchpad was born as a place where things can be worked-on on
> alpha status, but it because a place where things are dumped and
> forgotten.
>
> A scratchpad is against the continuous integration concept. In short,
> it's an individualistic short-cut but doesn't help the community, nor
> the project.
>
> I propose to dump it and to move the code into 'alpha blocks'.
>
> Each block is currently described into the 'project-info.xml'
> descriptor and has an attribute that marks it 'alpha' and the build
> system shows that.
>
> Of course, that also means that those blocks are marked as such in the
> properties files and removed from the official distribution. if you
> want the experimental code, you have to turn it on one by one by
> yourself (like in compiling the linux kernel, so to speak)
>
> This will solve several issues we currently have in the build system
> and things will be much more organic at the end.
>
> Thoughts?

Basically +1, but... considering that blocks are organized by
function/feature (database, fop, etc), what about experimental
development in an area where the block is stable ?

Should the block go back to alpha stage, or should we create an
alpha-xxx (e.g. alpha-database) block to hold unstable/experimental
features ? Of course, I'm in favor of the second solution, but what do
you think ?

Sylvain