cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject [proposal] Removing the scratchpad
Date Fri, 21 Feb 2003 15:02:34 GMT
The scratchpad was born as a place where things can be worked-on on
alpha status, but it because a place where things are dumped and forgotten.

A scratchpad is against the continuous integration concept. In short,
it's an individualistic short-cut but doesn't help the community, nor
the project.

I propose to dump it and to move the code into 'alpha blocks'.

Each block is currently described into the 'project-info.xml' descriptor
and has an attribute that marks it 'alpha' and the build system shows that.

Of course, that also means that those blocks are marked as such in the
properties files and removed from the official distribution. if you want
the experimental code, you have to turn it on one by one by yourself
(like in compiling the linux kernel, so to speak)

This will solve several issues we currently have in the build system and
things will be much more organic at the end.

Thoughts?