cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher Oliver <res1c...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: Bug 16580; compiling xsp with classpath
Date Mon, 17 Feb 2003 04:29:10 GMT
OK. I get it. The old version of Xalan that comes with the JDK
incorrectly throws that exception when processing one of  Cocoon's
stylesheets. By placing a new version of Xalan in Tomcat's endorsed
directory (http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4/docs/guide/standards) the newer
version of Xalan is loaded first.

This is a common classloading problem but it is exacerbated by poorly
designed interfaces, in this case the culprits seem to be
javax.xml.transform.TransformerFactory (which relies on a system
property (why is this bad? Think global variable)) and
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.xml.xslt.XSLTProcessor (which relies on
thread context class loader (why is this bad? Again, think global
variable)). The reason both resort to using external variables is that
the interfaces they define are missing one or more necessary parameters.
I don't know how much such issues have been discussed on this list, so I
won't go into this in more detail here. If it weren't for these
additional problems, it wouldn't be necessary to resort to Sun's
"endorsed" directory hack, a Cocoon component could simply load the
implementation it needed using a private class loader.

Regards,

Chris