cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Cocoon Project Report
Date Sun, 16 Feb 2003 22:05:59 GMT
As requested by the chairman, I send in a report of the activities
performed by the Cocoon Project so far.

                                   - o -

The Cocoon Project is slowly starting up.

We are in the progress of establishing the voting rules (taken from
Avalon) so that we can start the PMC.

The PMC mail list has not been setup yet. I wanted to have the voting
rules resolved in public (means cocoon-dev) before asking
instrastructure@ to setup the pmc@cocoon.apache.org mail list.

Our policy will be to reduce traffic on pme@cocoon.apache.org to only
those discussions that *require* privacy. Everything else will be done
in public.

The first PMC action will be to resolve the 'recursive bylaws' issue.

The second PMC action will be to establish a policy for the potential
use of the Cocoon name on commercial interests or cocoon-related non-ASF
web sites.

Infrastructure-wise, we are slowly moving away from our current
xml.apache.org location into cocoon.apache.org but we want to plan ahead
the movement to reduce user damage (broken links, mail archives and
such). Mirroring is also working even if not all links in our docs has
been updated (we plan on doing that after the move)

Pier Fumagalli has been voted back as a Cocoon committer (after his
renewed intention to work on cocoon and several patches submitted) and
is helping us a lot with infrastructure issues directly, reducing the
work on infrastructure@ directly.

At the same time, we would like to work with the other new top-level
project to synchronize the process of writing such PMC-oriented docs and
such. I'm peronally keeping an eye on infrastructure@ community@ and
general@incubator for those things and cocoon and avalon are already
sharing pieces of PMC-related work.

We are also planning to start using Forrest to build our own
documentation, even if this will make it a circular dependency (cocoon
depends on forrest and forrest depends on cocoon). But this is something
the cocoon documentation team will decide with the forrest developers
(most of which are also cocoon developers).

As far as community information, the cocoon communities appear healthy,
active and friendly. The high-rate of users becoming committers and
committers coming out of emerius status indicates a sane darwinistic
environment, well matched by the fact that only individuals or
small-sized companies perform most of Cocoon development and maintance,
allowing the community to be in total control. Frinction rate and
ego-oriented problems are, as usual, close to zero and I see no signs of
problems ahead.

                                - o -

As a special note, I would like to mention how the introduction of the
Cocoon wiki (hosted personally by Steven Noels' web site
www.cocoondev.org) has been seen by the user community as a great tool
and has generated very high-quality and useful documentation. The cocoon
wiki was also patched to sends diffs to the cocoon-docs@xml.apache.org
mail list (the documentation team), providing ownership and oversight.
This is seen as a very useful tool by the documentation team.

This has let us to believe that our current xml-driven documentation
system must be improved to match the editing simplicity of a wiki-based
solution, but without the unstructured-text problems of wiki content.

My personal vision is that Forrest should be dealing with those issues
and Cocoon help them with the technology they need, but that a better
documentation editing infrastructure is needed in order to allow a more
general audience to help us with that task.

Stefano Mazzocchi - V.P. Apache Cocoon