cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wal...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: extending XMLForms for different kinds of models...opinions?
Date Sat, 15 Feb 2003 23:27:38 GMT
Ugo Cei wrote:

> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>
>> This is a good idea when you need to use the JavaBean for some
>> business logic. But there are many cases where you just want to
>> populate a database after successful validation, and the average
>> Cocoon user quickly becomes reluctant to writing Java code, even for
>> storing data in a database ;-)
>>
>> Sylvain
>

> I'm wondering how writing *very* simple Java code (mostly classes with
> a handful of private data fields with getters and setters, and even
> this step can largely be automated using Hibernate), is worse than
> writing SQL code, forever tieing your presentation layer to the
> implementation of your storage layer.

Read my answer to Oliver. Note that I'm not trying to push bad software
engineering practices, as I've been advocating separation of domains for
a very, very long time. I'm just reporting what I've seen several times.

Cocoon allows to "forget" the underlying Java code by the power of its
architecture and the available components. And sometimes it hurts when
you have to go back to "raw" Java code for something as simple as
populating a few values in a DB.

An important point to notice also, is that Cocoon can be used
efficiently by people that have a very low Java knowledge but know very
well how to manipulate XML data and assemble smart pipelines.

Sylvain