cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ugo Cei <u....@cbim.it>
Subject Re: extending XMLForms for different kinds of models...opinions?
Date Sat, 15 Feb 2003 20:41:06 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> This is a good idea when you need to use the JavaBean for some business
> logic. But there are many cases where you just want to populate a
> database after successful validation, and the average Cocoon user
> quickly becomes reluctant to writing Java code, even for storing data in
> a database ;-)
>
> Sylvain

I'm wondering how writing *very* simple Java code (mostly classes with a
handful of private data fields with getters and setters, and even this
step can largely be automated using Hibernate), is worse than writing
SQL code, forever tieing your presentation layer to the implementation
of your storage layer.

I've been using Hibernate for about a month in a business application
and have concluded what follows:

a) Hibernate is a great product, rock solid and very well documented
b) using Java Beans as the Model in MVC beats writing SQL DML statements
hands down
c) using an object cache, connection and statement pooling, and
fine-tuning your loading policies (eager vs. lazy) could give a big
performance boost to any web application (and no, I haven't any
benchmarks about this, it's just a gut feeling).

Only "problem" with Hibernate so far: it's LGPL. But you can always go
with Jakarta OJB if you're picky about licenses.

	Ugo

--
Ugo Cei - http://www.beblogging.com/blog/