cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject [proposal] aiming to a naked cocoon
Date Tue, 11 Feb 2003 21:32:25 GMT
I think the cocoon core (aka 'naked cocoon') is defined by those classes
that don't depend on any external library but those found in /lib/core
and /lib/endorsed.

Everything else should be a block.

This allows us to create a build system where people can specify (at
compile time) what they want to include into the system they are creating.

This is just a first step toward hot-deployable COBs, but it's important
that we agree on what to factor out.

Looking into the current trunk, there are a few components that, IMO,
should be moved to blocks.

They are:

- XMLDB stuff

- XMLForm

- Deli

- XScript (what the hell is this anyway?)

anything else I'm missing that should be factored out?

Moreover, I propose to move the libraries that are block-related, into
the block space, for example FOP will end up being in

  /src/block/fop/lib/fop-xxx.jar

and so on and each block will have its own build file (not the current
build system generated by an XSLT stylesheet)

This will make it easier to migrate the blocks when a better component
architecture will be in place after we release cocoon 2.1

What do you think?