cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <>
Subject Re: The Cocoon Build System...
Date Tue, 11 Feb 2003 15:24:04 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> Ugo Cei wrote, On 11/02/2003 15.00:
>> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>>> Tell me, do all of you compile on a Cray?
>> No, but on my brand-new 2.4GHz P4 with 512MB and a 7200rpm HD, build
>> webapp-local took roughly three minutes and a half (under RedHat Linux
>> 8, Sun JDK 1.4.1_01).
> I use a 1Ghz PIII W2000 JDK 1.4.1_01 and the time is comparable, and it
> skips blocks that are already built, so it's faster in those cases.

ackowledged, but I have this ronzputer here (PII 366, 192Mb RAM, 6Gb of
disk) and that's what I get until my new titanium gets home (which will
take a while since they are upgrading the 15" line)

Moreover (unlike Pier who is the opposite), I tend to have the oldest
hardware around the house just to make sure that if things work on my
machines, work everywhere else (I remember optimizing jserv for speed on
a Pentium 133 running Win95, then having it tested on sun big iron and
the results were, impressively, comparable... guess why Sun is dying) anyway

>  From CVS:
> Total time: 6 minutes 53 seconds
> Where does it get stuck? How much memory do you have? How much, and at
> which point in the build, is the memory used?

the system is slow because it needs much more memory than I have on the
system and the virtual memory kicks in and slows things down.

This is not a problem that a cleaner build can fix, I know that, but for
sure it's not being designed with speed and simplicity in mind.

> BTW, to compile just cocoon core do a build compile-core.
> Total time: 2 minutes 33 seconds
> Changed a class, recompiled:
> Total time: 12 seconds
> You seem to have a clear view of how it should comple and what
> (conceptually).
> Could you please expand on that?

I think it's much easier/faster if I write it as I'm doing right now
(note: I'm checking all the new fancy ant 1.5 things like <selectors>).

I will commit my so that you people can compare which one
is best and choose your own.

Stefano Mazzocchi                               <>

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, email:

View raw message