cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject The Cocoon Build System...
Date Tue, 11 Feb 2003 13:52:44 GMT
well...	sucks.

It's huge, slow, complex, patchy, disorganic, messy and reaching the
point of complexity where it's becoming unmaintenable.

This has to change or people will simply get sick of it and go away.

It takes 30 minutes on my ronzputer for 'build webapp' to finish. It
takes less to compile the linux kernel. With a try/fail cycle of 30
minutes, I would be more productive with punch cards!

We *must* do something about this.

First of all, blocks. We have refactored blocks that, if removed, will
make the sitemap fail. Example of this are FOP and Batik, if you
refactor things, you *HAVE* to make sure that you compile the thing
without the block and everything must work. DAH!

Moreover, we must build a clean cocoon with a clean sitemap *FIRST*,
then add stuff on it.

If the concept of WARS gets in our way, we'll blast it. no big deal, but
let's do something about it.

Moreover, the thing of keep on forking ant might solve memory issues,
but it's seriously brain dead: I have the "init" target called two
hundred times, then it checks if the library is present, complains two
hundred times, then I don't even include the block that depends on it,
yet is still executed.

Tell me, do all of you compile on a Cray?

Grrr