cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [OT] Stefano's new signature
Date Mon, 10 Feb 2003 18:15:22 GMT
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> Le Lundi, 10 fév 2003, à 18:04 Europe/Zurich, Sylvain Wallez a écrit :
>
>> This reminds me of my favorite quote : "Perfection is achieved not
>> when there's nothing more to add, but when there's nothing left to
>> remove" (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, also quoted by ESR in the Cathedral
>> and the Bazaar). This is pinned on my office wall.

I think it was Blaise Pascal who said: "I'm writing you this long letter
because I lack the time of writing a shorter one".

Anyway, this is not going to be one long-lasting signature like the
previous oue, but I thought it was worth it for a while.

The occam razor is most commonly translared as: "between more choices,
the simplest is normally right one". Goes along with Einstein's thoughts
about 'between two theories, the most elegant is probably the right one'.

Simplicity and elegance are two sides of the same coin and reflect the
particular human ability to extract patterns from information in such a
deep format that concepts like 'elegance' and 'simplicity' will be very
hard to achieve (I say impossible) by turing machines (Like Alan Turing,
I don't believe the human brain is a turing machine, unlike Marvin
Minsky et alia).

But also has a more personal meaning attached to it given my status of
single I thought it was very funny, yet very thoughtful ;-)