cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wal...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: JavaScript for Java programmers (who want to use the Cocoon flow layer)
Date Mon, 10 Feb 2003 14:05:46 GMT
Christopher Oliver wrote:

> In order to reduce the barrier to entry of the Cocoon flow layer for
> Java programmers that haven't done much with JavaScript I thought I'd
> give an overview of some of the similarities and differences between
> JavaScript (specifically Rhino - http://www.mozilla.org/rhino) and Java.

Thanks a lot for this very nice presentation that will certainly help a
lot of people !

> And the Cocoon flow layer adds the following objects and functions to
> that:
>
> // interface to various cocoon abstractions:
> - cocoon
>      - environment // property of type
> org.apache.cocoon.environment.Environment

I'm wondering (this is related to Cocoon and not to JS) if making the
Environment available to the flow is a good thing. The Environment is
private to the pipeline machinery, and making it public here is IMO a
door open to very bad things.

I would limit the visibility to the objectModel, just like for every
other sitemap-related component in Cocoon (matchers, actions,
generators, etc).

Thoughts ?

Sylvain