cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Vadim Gritsenko <vadim.gritse...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: New CocoonServlet throws NullPointerException...
Date Thu, 06 Feb 2003 21:17:39 GMT
Pier Fumagalli wrote:

>Is there any sort of documentation on <map:handle-error/> somewhere?

handle-error is a regular pipeline with couple of exceptions:
1.  As of today, generator is pre-set and can not be specified. It is on
the TODO list to allow arbitrary generator in the handle-errors. Pre-set
generator is "<notifier>" (org.apache.cocoon.sitemap.NotifyingGenerator).
2. Redirects are not allowed.

handle-error can have optional attribute @type with value of 404
(ResourceNotFoundException) or 500 (all the other exceptions).

In handle-error you can create any error page you want (take a look at
http://localhost:8888/samples/sub/does-not-exist), with or without
stacktrace, you are in control of situation. Error handling code in
Servlet though is just a fallback mechanism for the situations when
handle-error pipeline is not present or double error occured, it can not
be customized but can be turned off completely. Because customization is
not possible, it is good idea to provide a way to hide a stacktrace
(because if security reasons). I tied this to log level.

Vadim